Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Harry Potter Controversy


In chapter 5 of Convergence Culture, Jenkins begins by stating that corporate media increasingly recognizes the value and threat posed by fan participation and uses Harry Potter as an example. I agree that fans are participating in shows a lot more now than they used to because of the internet. Many people go to their favorite show's website, purchase items associated with the show, and even visit spoiler websites, like Jenkins discussed in chapter 1. When he talked about all of the controversies associated with Harry Potter, I really hadn't heard about most of them. I went to a Catholic grade school and we read the first two books and none of our parents complained about it and I didn't hear of any controversies with us reading them. However, I went to google and looked up some information about the controversies and was surprised at how serious parents and teachers become when their kids are reading the books. Here is a link to just one of the websites I found. I find it interesting because controversy is usually a bad thing but at the same time can give a book a lot of publicity and make it even more popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment