Tuesday, September 22, 2009

social networking good or bad for communication?

I also decided to talk about twitter and social networking. Personally I don’t have a twitter I’m bad enough with my facebook and just won’t give in to now getting a twitter. I’m a communication major so it has always bugged me to wonder what all the social networking and text messaging is doing to our communication. On one hand it allows us to keep in touch with friends and loved ones far away. It also helps us find time with our busy schedules to just say, “Hey,” or remember someone’s birthday. I wonder are we beginning to rely too much on these rather impersonal forms of communicating. We feel as though we don’t need to call and wish someone and merry Christmas because we texted them and a few others our Christmas blessings. I have been so busy that I text someone on their birthday its like come on it’s one day can’t they still get a phone call? Our words have such meaning and power and a lot of time the way we say these words has a lot to do with that. When sending a quick message, e-mail, or text we often shorten sentences and get straight to the point. You can’t see the person or hear the tone in their voice. Communication is the key to understanding one another and many great things have happened because of it I just hope that we can use these social things to benefit our relationships not to make anything less meaningful. I found a video on YouTube about communication and it is rather long but if you go towards the end it talks about twitter and does clippings from all different media and shows where people are talking about twittering over and over again.
evolution of media

No comments:

Post a Comment