Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Privacy and Webcams

A big topic in chapter 2 is privacy. Today's generation doesn't seem very concerned with privacy and it is obvious in many aspects. People post all sorts of private information on Myspace and Facebook, new reality shows come out every week with people having their entire lives on TV, people upload videos of everything on YouTube, and cameras are everywhere. I can definitely see a big change in feelings toward this from my generation to my parent's generation. Many older people in my family think it is crazy the amount of privacy we have lost over the past decade while many people my age think it is completely normal and actually enjoy the openness. I found a website called EarthCam where you can view thousands of live streaming videos from streets and buildings all around the United States. Just by searching "New York City" over 600 results come up. I think it's crazy that just by walking down a street, you could possibly be being watched by hundreds of people who are just sitting in their house. It's a neat website that can possibly be used for numerous things but it also really shows how public our daily lives have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment