Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Privacy Online

In response to what Katelyn was talking about, the idea of webcams is great, but really scary. Me and my cousins always turn to the internet out of boredom at family gatherings on holidays. I remember one time, at Thanksgiving, I think, a few years ago, my cousin had found a certain thing to put into Google's search engine and the results came up with a bunch of different links that brought us to webcams from everywhere from college campuses to peoples' homes. It was really fun to watch people stand in a parking lot and talk, play tennis on the top of a building, or stare into an empty room. But it was also really scary to think that people could probably very easily do that to us. Anyone can do it. By typing "webcam hack code" into google, and clicking the second link that comes up, you can gain access to a list of links that bring you to hundreds of accessible webcams. You can even move some of the physical webcams, to change the view, from the click of a mouse. Here's a storefront of what looks like a gas station :)
Also, with the idea that we share so much information about ourselves online, I think that is a big part of the internet. We want to be known, and we also want to express ourselves. But often we overlook the downsides of that. I know I try to be careful of what I put online, but I'm sure there's a lot that I've put online that I'd rather not see again.
Here's a video that I found on youtube that was done for an AP course, relating privacy on the internet to Orwell's 1984.

The images and music used really helped to powerfully convey her argument that no one is safe online.

No comments:

Post a Comment