Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Marketing to the Net Generation


Throughout chapter 7, Tapscott talks about how hard it is to market products to the Net Generation. He gives various reasons for this problem including the eight norms, the popularity of social networking, trusting friends over critics, and that our generation knows how to tune out conventional advertising. While I agree with all these points, I believe social networking and the trusting of friends are key players in marketing new products. If I intend to buy something, I first look to my friends for opinions. If they have a certain product and like it, chances are I will also buy that product. On the other hand, if they have a certain product and dislike it, I will save my money for something else. If none of my close friends have opinions on a product, I then branch out to the internet. This includes reviews conducted on Cnet, blog posts, and other various reviews that I can find on the web. After all this research, I have a good idea of the product I want to buy and conventional advertising hasn't even reached me. This got me thinking...If most of the Net Generation buys products in this fashion, they why do companies continue to use old-fashioned advertising? A quick Google search revealed that companies are beginning to change how they market. The site I found, entitled Youth Marketing Connection, is a company that works with big corporations to help them market their products to today's youth. They provide different services such as campus advertising, spring break advertising, and youth research for all the companies listed in the picture I posted. All of this shows that corporations do see that a marketing change is needed to keep up with our generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment